Egis has chosen the bimsync platform to facilitate Building Information Modelling (BIM) collaboration for three of its French urban transport infrastructure projects: Line 16 of the Grand Paris Express metro, the extension of Marseilles’ tram network and the extension of Lyon’s metro line B.
The French engineering group Egis and the Norwegian company Catenda, a major actor of open BIM, signed a contract for implementation of the bimsync collaborative platform to meet the needs of the project for extending Lyon’s metro line B to Hôpitaux Sud (Project Owner: Sytral). This contract is the third one signed this year between Egis and Catenda.
Just a few months back, Egis had already signed a contract for setting up bimsync for the Grand Paris Express line 16 project (Project Owner: Société du Grand Paris), and for the Marseille tramway extension project (Project Owner: Marseille Provence Métropole).
- We are very proud to support the big challenges Egis are tackling. They have great expertise and engage in the most complex projects in the world. Joining them will feed back to our product bimsync as well, says Håvard Brekke Bell, CEO of Catenda.
For these three major urban transport infrastructure projects, Egis acts both as the representative of the project management group and as BIM Manager, i.e. as an advisor, expert and guarantor of the management and coordination of the BIM working methods for the project.
An efficient and effective tool
Given the complexity of the works to be completed and the urgency for bringing together a wide variety of stakeholders involved in BIM models, It is for this reason that Egis decided to adopt a collaboration solution which was up to the task.
“We were looking for a simple but efficient and stable solution, fully accessible online and thus easy to deploy” said Marc Vincens, in charge of the BIM collaborative platform benchmark project at Egis Rail. “Interoperability was also one of our first concerns. Through a BIM platform, all exchanges should be made through open BIM standards (IFC and BCF)”, added Nicolas Ferrara, corporate Bim manager. In the end it was bimsync that stood out from the crowd after a comparative study was conducted in 2017 by the Egis team.
The bimsync solution allows any project stakeholder – project manager, prime contractor, constructors etc. access and view the complete digital model of the project via a simple web browser. Thanks to its ease of use, the collaborative platform contributes to a project’s digital model by asserting itself in technical project reviews and thereby accelerating the collective understanding and resolution of the project's problem areas. Finally, the bimsync solution is designed to facilitate the exchange of all daily information. It allows team members to exchange information with each other via annotations attached to the digital model, and to track them until they are resolved.
This partnership between Egis and Catenda will make it possible to develop and simplify the use of BIM on major urban transport projects.
At Egis, a total of 13,600 people are dedicated to supporting energy, ecology, digital and territorial transition to shape tomorrow’s world. They draw on their capacity for innovation and our ability to ingeniously transform ideas into solutions that are tangible, operational and, most importantly, useful for their clients all over the world. Egis´ assignments lead them to operate in a wide range of domains addressing the major challenges of the planet, such as transport, buildings, water, the environment, energy, urban development and mobility services. To deliver them, Egis call upon a broad spectrum of disciplines, ranging from the design of infrastructure to its operation, also including consulting, turnkey delivery and project structuring. Egis is a 75%-owned subsidiary of Caisse des Dépôts, with the remaining 25% held by partner executives and employees. The Group generates more than one billion euros of managed revenue.
Catenda is a Norwegian company with 18 staff members. It grew out of the research community at SINTEF, and will be celebrating its tenth anniversary in 2019. It is one of the major players in the world of open BIM and works to develop and disseminate the methodological standards of buildingSMART International, such as IFC, BCF or bsDD (data dictionary). Catenda´s vision is to make the Construction industry data driven, using open standards to achieve breakthrough performance and sustainability. The bimsync platform is one of the oldest and most reliable open BIM products on the market. It already equips many construction companies and, in France, groups such as Legendre or Bouygues Immobilier.